Tomorrow is the Fourth of July! It’s the day that we get to celebrate America’s freedom! It’s a day where we get to grill out, go to the beach, or even watch fireworks! No matter what everyone has planned for this upcoming holiday, Total Body Therapy & Wellness wants to make sure that you have a safe and happy Fourth of July! So to make sure of that, here are a few safety tips to keep you and your family safe during this holiday!
Safety While Grilling
This is something that you may not think about, but people are injured every year from grilling in their backyard! To prevent an accident from happening to you while grilling, practice these safety tips:
- Never grill indoors – this includes in a camper or tent
- Keep everyone away from the grill – including pets
- Always supervise a grill while it is in use
- Never add starter fluid when coals are already lit
- Follow manufacturer instructions when using grills
- Use long-handled tools made for grilling cooking to keep the cook safe
- Keep grill in open area – away from anything that could catch fire
Staying Safe at the Beach
- It is best to swim at a beach with a lifeguard – obey all their instructions and orders
- Swim sober and NEVER alone
- Don’t dive headfirst.
- Watch out for ocean wildlife. Avoid plants and leave any animals alone.
- Keep a close watch on children and adults at the beach. Waves can cause someone to lose footing, even when not in deep waters.
- Keep alert for weather changing.
Avoiding Rip Currents
Rip currents are extremely hazardous and responsible for deaths on beaches every year. Any beach that has breaking waves could possibly have rip currents. Beware of rip currents! If you find yourself caught in a rip current, swim parallel to the shore until out of the current. Once free, turn and swim toward the shore. Stay at least 100 feet away from piers. Often times permanent rip currents exist near these structures.
Whether you go to the beach or not this 4th of July it is important that you partake in sun safety. Limit direct exposure to sunlight during peak hours of 10 am to 4 pm and wear a broad spectrum sunscreen with at least 15 SPF. Reapply often. Drink plenty of water, even if you’re not thirst. Avoid alcoholic beverages and caffeine to prevent dehydration. Protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses with UV protection.
Although the safest way to view fireworks is to attend a public display put on by professionals, many individuals still opt to set off fireworks at home. If that is your decision, then follow these safety tips to avoid injury:
- Keep fireworks away from small children
- Always follow package instructions
- Store fireworks in cool, dry place away from children and pets
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight a “dud”
- Wear eye protection if you’re lighting fireworks
- Leave any area immediately if untrained amateurs are using fireworks
- Never point or throw a firework at people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials
If you follow these 4th of July safety tips, you’re destined to have a Happy 4th of July! And from all of us at Total Body Therapy and Wellness, please have a safe and Happy 4th of July!